The Hamilton Spectator and Waterloo Area Report and are among the many large winners on the Ontario Newspaper Awards.
The southern Ontario papers every collected 4 honours on the annual gala, which celebrated the work of 26 newspapers exterior Toronto.
Investigative journalist Grant LaFleche of the St. Catharines Customary was named journalist of the yr for a collection of political tales that triggered an investigation by the Ontario Ombudsman. He additionally collected an award for enterprise reporting.
Dax Melmer of the Windsor Star was named photojournalist of the yr for his placing picture of a six-year-old woman who had been mauled by a canine.
Employees at Melmer’s paper received two extra awards, and the Stratford Beacon Herald collected two. Different awards went to the Brantford Expositor, Sarnia Observer, Owen Sound Solar Occasions, London Free Press and Ottawa Solar.
Different awards went to the Brantford Expositor, Sarnia Observer, Owen Sound Solar Occasions, London Free Press and Ottawa Solar.
Judges lauded LaFleche for his dogged dedication in gaining the belief of confidential sources and digging deep right into a cache of paperwork and information.
“That is the type of reporting that’s completely integral to democracy,” judges mentioned. “It takes perseverance and troublemaking and wholesale dedication — all qualities we can’t afford to lose.”
Greater than 100 editors, journalists and photojournalists attended Saturday’s occasion in Toronto.
Right here’s a have a look at the winners:
- Arts and Leisure Writing — Greg Mercer, Waterloo Area Report
- Beat Reporting — Joanna Frketich, Hamilton Spectator
- Column/Opinion writing — Rick Gibbons, Ottawa Solar
- Enterprise Reporting — Grant LaFleche, St. Catharines Customary
- Characteristic Pictures (over) — Dax Melmer, Windsor Star
- Characteristic Pictures (underneath) — Jonathan Juha, Stratford Beacon Herald
- Characteristic writing (over) — Jon Wells, Hamilton Spectator
- Characteristic writing (underneath) — Jonathan Juha, Stratford Beacon Herald
- Basic information function — Jeff Outhit, Waterloo Area Report
- Particular venture — Susan Clairmont, David Crosbie, Hamilton Spectator
- Sports activities images (over) — Dan Janisse, Windsor Star
- Sports activities images (underneath) — Mark Malone, Sarnia Observer
- Sports activities writing — Jeff Hicks, Waterloo Area Report
- Spot Information Pictures (over) — Mathew McCarthy, Waterloo Area Report
- Spot Information Pictures (underneath) — Brian Thompson, Brantford Expositor
- Spot Information Writing (underneath) — Scott Dunn, Owen Sound Solar Occasions
- Spot Information Writing (over) — Joanna Frketich, Scott Radley, Teri Pecoskie, Jeremy Kemeny and Scott Gardner, Hamilton Spectator
- Video Manufacturing — Jennifer Bieman, Cheryl Chute, Robin Harvey and Patrick Maloney, London Free Press