Samurai sword murder: accused man’s bail reduced


Accused samurai sword killer Blake Davis has had his bail reduced by $100,000 after a court heard he resisted the temptation to flee when he accidentally broke his electronic monitoring ankle bracelet.

Davis appeared in the NSW Supreme Court on Monday where his barrister Margaret Cunneen successfully applied to have his surety reduced from $465,000 to $365,000 in order to fund his forthcoming trial.

The 30-year-old actor and his girlfriend Hannah Quinn, 24, are fighting charges they murdered aspiring rapper Jett McKee after a botched invasion of their inner western Sydney flat in August 2018.

Ms Cunneen argued that given the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions, her client didn’t represent a flight risk.

“It’s just absolutely impossible to flee the jurisdiction,” she said.

“You can’t get into Queensland, and who would want to go to Victoria? It’s impossible to escape Australia.”

She told the court Davis had stringently adhered to his bail conditions for 20 months, including immediately self-reporting to authorities after accidentally breaking his electronic tracking device.

“It presented an opportunity to flee and he did not do so,” Ms Cunneen said.

Justice Natalie Adams granted Davis’s application ahead of his trial, which is scheduled for November 9.

Davis is accused of killing Mr McKee by striking his head with a samurai sword.

Mr McKee was found dead at a Forest Lodge intersection after he allegedly burst into the couple’s home armed with a replica gun and knuckledusters.

The court has previously heard the pair will defend the charges on the grounds of self-defence and extreme provocation.

The couple, who have both been bailed to live in the Blue Mountains, appeared via video link and it emerged Quinn plans to represent herself.

Quinn’s strict bail conditions include reporting to police, not going within 100 metres of an airport and posting a $465,000 bond, which was provided by three family members.